Saturday, May 26, 2012

Mirrors

Even though 739 could move without its side-view mirrors, that's just one of many safety components that have to be in place to get on the road. This Friday afternoon the weather was so nice, I had to take a half-day of vacation and spend some time on various projects, including removing the two mirrors for replacement glass.

Each is held on with a hex head cup point set screw. I actually had a wrench that fit! And I had been taught to use plenty of PB Blaster. What could be easier? I started with the driver's side mirror.


After maybe up to 40 years of holding that mirror on tightly, that screw was not about to budge. It  had bonded well over the years and based on the fact that it would not move, I wondered if the parts might have welded together over the many years of sun and weather. So over to the passenger side.


Same story. But I knew to tap with a hammer, use a vice-grips for some leverage, and give that PB Blaster some time to work.


I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but that passenger side set screw finally moved!



And then too, so did the driver's side!


Then off came the two mirrors, right? Not at all. One didn't budge a bit and the other at least turned a few degrees in either direction. More PB Blaster, more back and forth motion, and eventually, the two mirrors gave up. You can see a bit of clean up is in order before reassembly.



On we go.....





No comments:

Post a Comment